In the present times, due to fast food, sedentary lifestyle and stressful living, one goes through lot of disturbances in the digestive system. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or Grahani is one such prime condition of Gastro- intestinal tract, seen often in day-to-day practice.
The most common symptoms of IBS include:
- Changes in bowel habits, mostly loose and sometimes constipation
- Abdominal pain and cramping, which often reduce after passing a stool
- Constant urge to defecate and undigested food particles in the stool
- The passing of mucus with the stools
- Fatigue, irritability, loss of appetite, disinterest towards food etc.
- First line of the treatment is to remove Ama (toxins) – Ama Pachana followed by
- Agni-deepana – to improve metabolism and balance the digestive fire
- Langhana – Medicines to bring about a sense of lightness and wellbeing
- Ahara – Diet, plays a very important role in management of IBS